We’ve curated a variety of resources to help you build and grow relationships online. Check back often as we will regularly update the information and links.
HOW TO BUILD TRUST ONLINE
- How to Build Trust with e-Commerce Customers
- How to Build Trust in Your Business Online: Eight Steps
- Why You Need to Build Trust Online
- How to Get Customers to Trust You
- Top 4 Ways Insurance Agents Can Build Client Trust
- How Insurtech Helps Build Trust
- Building Trust in a Virtual World with Lydia Schimmelpfenig
- How to Build Trust with Customers Online
- How to Build Trust in Virtual Environments
How to Build Trust with e-Commerce Customers
Building trust online is essential for e-commerce businesses. Here's how to gain repeat business and build brand loyalty.
- Importance of data security and protection
- Fostering positive word of mouth
- Increasing brand awareness with content marketing
SOURCE: Business.com 2.28.20
How to Build Trust in Your Business Online: Eight Steps
There is a certain code of conduct online to build trust. You need to be sincere, respectful, authentic, helpful, consistent, reliable, supportive, committed and well-intentioned, like a real friend. This piece dives into how business owners and leaders can take steps to build trust in their businesses.
- Developing a clear objective and understanding your customers
- Get all involved
- Importance of measurement
SOURCE: Forbes 2.19.20
Why You Need to Build Trust Online
The customer’s journey has changed. It used to be a linear path from when the customer became aware of a need and then went to their favorite business to purchase the answer to their need. But today, customers will find multiple companies that can provide acceptable solutions to their needs, and they are looking at all of their options before they make a purchase.
- How customer loyalty is changing
- How being consistent, personable and responsive can build trust
SOURCE: Business2Community 1.12.21
How to Get Customers to Trust You
Consumer trust is hard to gain and easy to lose — but essential to business success. This article offers best practices for how companies can build trust.
- How consumer trust impacts bottom line
- Importance of protecting customer data
- Three ways businesses can build trust
SOURCE: Forbes 11.26.19
Top 4 Ways Insurance Agents Can Build Client Trust
As an insurance agent, it’s essential to cultivate client relationships by establishing yourself as trustworthy, reliable, and knowledgeable. Agencies that focus on building customer trust and loyalty typically benefit from higher performance ratings, lower churn rates, reduced expenses, and increased margins.
- Demonstrate knowledge of products and how they can be most beneficial
- Listen actively to customers and keep your promises
- Show credentials with online reviews
SOURCE: Agentero 6.17.19
How Insurtech Helps Build Trust
The ability to gather and parse massive amounts of data has changed how insurers and their customers regard the trust relationship.
- Statistics about consumers’ trust in insurers
- Links between privacy, transparency and consumer trust
- Building trust through technology
SOURCE: Insurance Thought Leadership 11.12.18
Building Trust in a Virtual World with Lydia Schimmelpfenig
Learn how to foster connections and build trusted partnerships to eliminate barriers to productivity and results in a virtual setting. This webinar will give you the skills you need to be successful at building long-distance relationships with clients through trust. Webinar length: 59 minutes
- How does a virtual setting impact trust
- How to build trust with people you have only met online
- Benefits of using video for face-to-face interactions
How to Build Trust with Customers Online
If you run a business online, the burden of proof is on you. It’s up to you to prove that you’re credible and trustworthy.
- What you need to know about building trust online
- How to gain customers’ trust and confidence through your own website, third party sites and the customer journey
- Examples of companies that have done a good job building trust
How to Build Trust in Virtual Environments
As we’re increasingly working in virtual environments, the ongoing challenge is figuring out ways to build trust. Sure, we have some interactions on videoconferences to work with. But the physical cues we've become accustomed to reacting to are muted and masked. This is forcing us to develop new ways to trust one another.
- Developing trust through actions such as staying true to promises
- Importance of sharing credentials
- Future of virtual work
SOURCE: Inc. 12.22.20
CREATING A TRUSTWORTHY WEBSITE
How to Build Trust Online: 7 Little Ways to Create a Trustworthy Website
When it comes to establishing trust, it doesn’t matter how compelling your calls-to-action are, how engaging your content is, or how quickly your pages load on mobile screens. If visitors to your site have any doubts about how trustworthy you are, they’ll bounce right out and never come back. There are plenty of measures you can take right now to maximize the impression of trustworthiness that your website exudes.
- Using Net Promoter Score (NPS) to gage trust
- Providing proof through testimonials, partner logos
- Types of images that can engage
SOURCE: Hubspot 6.3.16
11 Simple Techniques for Gaining Customers’ Trust Online
It's becoming increasingly difficult to get people to trust your website enough to make purchases on it. Here's what it takes to maximize the number of visitors you convert into customers.
- Why trust matters
- How to humanize brand with “About Us” page
20 Ways to Build Trust with Your Website Visitors
In the B2B sectors we operate within, the focus is generally on building trust offline via face-to-face conversations. But trust can also be earned online where it is often sought before a buying cycle begins; and it's now more important than ever to earn that trust on websites in such challenging environments.
- The five levels of trust
- 20 ways to improve your website to help gain trust
- Examples of good website design
SOURCE: Orientation Marketing 5.16.19
17 Ways to Build Online Trust with Your Website
Use these tips to ensure users that your website is safe, your business is legit, your offer is appealing and other people like your business.
How to make your website user friendly
Red flags of an untrustworthy website including website warnings, random domain name and grammatical errors
Actions you can take to achieve each best practice
SOURCE: Medium 9.6.20
11 Ways to Increase User Engagement & Why it Matters to SEO
Most SEO professionals know how important user engagement is to their success. This article highlights how to increase engagement and track it.
- What is user engagement
- Metrics to track trends
- Ideas for increasing engagement
SOURCE: Search Engine Journal 5.10.19
ENGAGING WITH COMMUNITIES ONLINE
How 13 Companies Build Community in a Virtual World
These companies encourage their employees to connect even when they're working remotely.
- Importance of employee culture
- Best practices about fostering remote employee culture from leading companies
SOURCE: RippleMatch 3.30.21
6 Tips for Communicating Your Company’s Community Service Online
When businesses proactively inform the public of their outreach efforts, it can help those companies establish a positive presence in the community, boost employee morale, and even increase sales.
- Benefits of promoting community service
- How to use your online presence to highlight your service
- Examples of companies doing it right
SOURCE: Under30CEO 3.6.14
BUILDING CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS ONLINE
- 3 Easy Ways to Help Insurance Agents Build Trust Over the Phone
- 9 Tips to Build Customer Relationships with Social Media in 2021
- How to Build Strong Customer Relationships Online
- Building and Maintaining Strong Customer Relationships Part 1 and Part 2
- Ensure That Your Customer Relationships Outlast Coronavirus
- Humanizing Customer Relationships in a Virtual World
- How to Build a Rapport with Customers Online
- 4 Ways to Create Time and Space for Building Rapport Virtually
- Influence Customers Remotely
- Building Better Customer Relationships: A Comprehensive Guide
- How Independent Insurance Agents Can Cultivate Meaningful Customer Relationships
- How Independent Agents Can Stay Personal in a Digital World
3 Easy Ways to Help Insurance Agents Build Trust Over the Phone
While positive phone interactions can help drive conversions and client retention, they can be challenging for some agents. One of the obstacles many agents face that hinder success in phone sales is a lack of trust from their prospects. To ensure your phone sales technique is effective, here are three ways insurance agents can build trust over the phone.
- Make each call personal
- Practice active listening skills
- Be empathetic and establish an emotional connection
SOURCE: ZipQuote 10.23.20
9 Tips to Build Customer Relationships with Social Media in 2021
This guide takes a deeper dive into why building customer relationships is so important as well as shares nine strategies to help you get started.
- Benefits of strong customer relationships
- How to use social media to nurture customer relationships
- Best practices for personalizing the social experience and listening to customer feedback
SOURCE: SproutSocial 4.20.21
How to Build Strong Customer Relationships Online
Through text and digital content, emotions and appropriate follow-up can easily be dulled, leaving customers feeling detached and even frustrated with their experience. Whether it's through an email campaign, abandoned cart follow up, or your website's live chat, it’s imperative that you solidify strong communication methods to make sure customers are receiving great customer service.
- Show emotion in your message
- Follow up after interactions
- Ask top customers for reviews
SOURCE: Forbes 2.9.17
Building and Maintaining Strong Customer Relationships Part 1 and Part 2
The COVID-19 pandemic has grounded most business travel, cutting short in-person meetings, events and other activities through which customer relationships traditionally take shape. It has forced companies to manage relationships remotely, changing the way everyone operates. Adjusting to the “new normal” was tougher than many expected, and it is here to stay whether there’s a pandemic or not.
- Creating connections with videoconferencing and small talk
- How to be engaged including asking questions and actively listening
- Importance of maintaining scheduled appointments and following up
SOURCE: CustomerThink 10.20.20 & 10.21.20
Ensure That Your Customer Relationships Outlast Coronavirus
How can businesses maintain and build relationships with consumers when everyone’s world has been upended? The authors discuss five key strategies that help companies weather crises and preserve their bonds with consumers.
- How to humanize your business
- Educating consumers about how to interact with your company
- Demonstrating how you will go above and beyond for your customers
SOURCE: Harvard Business Review 4.1.20
Humanizing Customer Relationships in a Virtual World
With the world rapidly shifting to remote work, virtual connections have become the norm. Replacing the immediacy and connection of in-person meetings can be tough, but it’s achievable with a smarter use of technology.
- The emotive power of video
- Using empathy and emotion to build relationships
- Integrating video with sales enablement
SOURCE: Forbes 8.27.20
How to Build a Rapport with Customers Online
Five ways that building rapport virtually is different from face-to-face customers - and how you can find success.
- Differences between relationship building in a physical room vs. virtual
- Benefits of starting a virtual meeting with rapport building
- Ending meetings on a personal note to help build connections
SOURCE: Entrepreneur 9.22.20
4 Ways to Create Time and Space for Building Rapport Virtually
It’s almost become a cliché at this point, but it’s true: people want to buy from who they know, like, and trust. And the way to earn that status is to focus on building and maintaining relationships that go beyond the transactional nature of simply closing a deal.
- Take the lead and focus on relationship building from the start
- End the meeting with a casual discussion
- Setup short check-in meetings
- Continue building relationships outside of your meetings
SOURCE: Hubspot 10.5.20
Influence Customers Remotely
More than ever leaders need to be creative about influencing their customers and clients from a distance. This piece identifies a few important strategies to help you nurture those virtual relationships during this difficult time and beyond.
- Stay top of mind and influence in-between in person meetings
- Use video to influence and maintain relationships
- Stay on the literal “same page” as your customers and clients
SOURCE: Virtual Work Insider 3.23.20
Building Better Customer Relationships: A Comprehensive Guide
This article will show you how to build customer relationships with the long view in mind—which begins by creating a holistic strategy that considers all your customer-facing teams.
- Why you should build customer relationships
- Tips for building customer relationships through customer service, sales process and marketing
- Customer relationship examples from real-life companies
How Independent Insurance Agents Can Cultivate Meaningful Customer Relationships
With so many brands vying for customers’ attention, it’s critical to deliver value that people can’t find through larger companies. This is what provides you with continuous leverage and allows you to flourish regardless of how much the industry grows. This article explores how agents can create a value proposition that attracts customers.
- How agents’ customer service can create trust
- Anticipating customers’ needs and empathizing with them in hard times
- Letting industry knowledge and expertise shine through
SOURCE: Bolt Access 1.25.21
How Independent Agents Can Stay Personal in a Digital World
Customer service might be your differentiator from the carriers, but it doesn’t help you stand out among other independent agents. Technology is your differentiator.
- How to humanize your agency brand
- Accentuating what makes you special and unique
- Having a presence in your community
USING HUMOR TO BUILD TRUST
- 11 Ways to Win Your Customers’ Hearts with Humor
- Make ‘Em Laugh: How Humor Can be the Secret Weapon in Your Communication
- Humor May be the Surprising Key to Rebuilding Trust – and Reconnecting with Coworkers
- 5 Tips for Using Humor to Engage an Audience Online…Without Cat Memes?!
- How to Use Humor to Build Trust
11 Ways to Win Your Customers’ Hearts with Humor
Call it adding fun, being clever, using humor, employing an element of surprise or adding wit, online companies today are constantly finding unique ways to engage their site visitors and customers. And for good reason: it strengthens a consumer's relationship with their brand.
- Different places to inject humor online
- How to add humor into communications
- Examples of companies that made levity part of their brand
SOURCE: Zapier 4.1.14
Make ‘Em Laugh: How Humor Can be the Secret Weapon in Your Communication
Humor does more than just make people laugh. It allows you to connect with your audience, diffuse tension, elevate status, foster trust, and compel others to your point of view. Humor can also help you and your message stand out, yet most of us hesitate to use humor, especially in our professional lives. Matt Abrahams speaks with Stanford GSB Professor Jennifer Aaker and Lecturer Naomi Bagdonas about when and how humor operates in the workplace. Podcast length: 27 minutes
- Benefits of humor in communication
- Best practices for effective storytelling and incorporating humor
- How to incorporate humor into communication
SOURCE: Stanford Business 6.22.20
Humor May be the Surprising Key to Rebuilding Trust – and Reconnecting with Coworkers
Humor, which study after study has shown leads to deeper trust between leaders and workers, as well as greater job satisfaction, will likely be reimagined in the post-COVID workplace, too. But as we prepare for the Great Return, we’d be smart to think about what it looks like and how to make levity a central feature of a company’s culture.
- Role of humor in returning to the office
- How humor can lead to a more positive perception of an individual
- How humor in the office will change post pandemic
SOURCE: Fortune 3.31.21
5 Tips for Using Humor to Engage an Audience Online…Without Cat Memes?!
Using humor to engage an audience is not a new concept, but with the ever-increasing use of social media, it’s easier to highlight the relatable, witty side of your brand. If you do it correctly, your audience will want to share your brand’s message, too.
- What type of humor is appropriate
- How humor can increase engagement on social media
- Staying true to your brand voice while incorporating humor
SOURCE: Arkapana Consulting
How to Use Humor to Build Trust
We all need humor and trust, but how are they connected? This talk shared data about how the two are inextricably linked. Video length: 14 minutes
- How to use humor to build social trust
- Everyday techniques to incorporate humor into interactions
SOURCE: TEDxWaltham 11.7.19
How to Build an Inclusive Virtual Culture with These Four Effective Strategies
A virtual culture is more than Zoom Happy Hours and random meme sharing. It’s a space where each employee feels comfortable, safe, respected and treated like a valued member of the team; it’s where they feel like they belong.
- Why over-communication can be better than under-communicating
- Championing a culture of collaboration
- Importance of providing positive feedback
SOURCE: Forbes 5.21.20
Making Stronger Connections Virtually
Even in this era of remote work, business leaders can take steps to build and maintain high-performing teams.
- Benefits of having a sense of belonging at work
- Overcoming Zoom fatigue
- Examples of team building activities
SOURCE: SHRM 10.24.20
How to Create Real Connection and Community with Remote Teams
Creating connection at a distance often comes down to the basics — seeing faces, sharing stories, getting to know a bit more about the people you work with and the places they come from.
- How to make all employees – no matter where they are located – feel like they are on the same team
- Activities – beyond Zoom happy hour – to help employees be connected
SOURCE: ThriveGlobal 2.23.20
How to Continue Building Inclusive Communities When You’re Remote
The recent shift to remote work and physical distancing has forced many organizations to rethink how they connect and communicate as a distributed team. Building inclusive communities must be a part of that shift. Being fully remote—compounded by living through a global pandemic—makes it even more critical to be intentional about creating an inclusive community.
- What an inclusive community looks like
- Building a community of trust
- Learning about communities that already exist within the organization and helping your employees find them
SOURCE: Asana 5.13.20